Friday, January 04, 2013

NEW SKIN

Being a mom of a 17 month old baby, I don't always have time to pamper myself, but that is no excuse to let myself go. I Like to try easy, natural and homemade remedies to keep my skin healthy and well hydrated specialy in the winter when my skin gets drier. For many years i thought I had eczema or skin allergies due to sometimes my excessive dry skin. Well after doing a lot of research I said to myself I have to do something about this! I have tried a lot of creams with very little success, even the expensive ones. So i decided to go and see a dermatologist and she confirmed that I have seborrheic dermatitis. No big deal, well at least not in my case. In a way I consider myself lucky cause I don't have a severe case of seborrheic dermatitis witch is always confused with eczema.

Seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic inflammatory skin disorder that develops in parts of the body rich in the sebaceous glands that produce sebum (oil). The disorder presents as flakiness and reddish patches on your scalp, around the nose, mouth, hairline, in the eyebrows, or above the ears and sometimes it can be itchy.
If you have any of these symptoms you could be suffering from seborrheic dermatitis.
This common syndrome affects 5% of the population. Fatigue and stress can both trigger episodes of seborrheic dermatitis, which develops more frequently in winter and is not affected by diet. Like I said it can be confused with eczema, psoriasis or skin allergies, which is why I suggest to consult a dermatologist for a proper diagnose, treatment and care.
 
As a general rule of thumb, daily use of standard moisturizers can help reduce redness and flakiness. I prefer the most natural beauty products with no perfumes since those can only irritate my skin.  I also ensure to drink enough water throughout the day. Work with your health care provider to determine possible food sensitivities. Some of these sensitivities can be overcome, but while undetected, can silently interfere with the absorption of essential nutrients, including those that replenish the skin.

As soon as I started the prescribed cream, shampoo and lotion for my hair i can see a big difference.  I also started to avoid really hot showers cause they dry my skin a lot. 

Here are some of the little homemade remedies to do at home that can help anyone.
Simple, efficient and cheap:)
 
Homemade Body Scrub
2 cups of sugar
1/2 cup of olive oil
Mix all then apply on skin, leave it a couple of minutes and wash it off.

Body Moisturizer
1 handful of solid shortening Crisco
Mix with vitamine E capsules and apply to skin.
Hospitals even use it to treat psoriasis and eczema.

Homemade Facial Scrub
2 tablespoons of coffee
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
1 tablespoon of Olive oil

Moisturizing mask for the face:
4 black crushed bananas
1 tablespoon of honey
Mix it all and leave it for 15 min on your face.

Chocolate Anti aging mask
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of plain yogurt
1 tablespoon of honey
3 tablespoons of finely chopped oats

Leave the chocolate mask for 20 minutes on your face. Rinse face with water, tone and moisturize your skin. "Et voila!" Please try this one when you're alone, you really don't want to scare your kids or husband. :)

Do you have any beauty secrets you would like to share with us? Any creams you use that work for you? Any homemade beauty tips you know you want to share? What type of skin you have?
Please note that I am not a Doctor.  These are only my suggestions and me sharing my experience with my skin condition. Please consult your dermatologist for any skin care concerns.

Thank you

Claudia




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.
With Love,
Claudia Persi